Thread: Concussions
View Single Post
      11-26-2022, 08:15 PM   #13
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Got delay concussion syndrome about 10 years back whilst competing in a road tarmac motorcycle hill climb. Fortunately it was in a slower section of the course so hit the deck at 45-60 mph. On the day I seemed ok and ambulance staff did the usual test such as reflex, day of the week , current prime minister etc. I rode home as bike was still rideable and in road trim. I almost had two further accidents through lack of concentration, clearly shouldn’t have been riding at that point.

Next day , went to work , but boss sent me home after I attended a meeting. Was clear that cognectivity I wasn’t present. Went home and rested for a couple of days.

Over the coming months it was clear that brain wasn’t performing, and I’d fall asleep frequently and got headaches in the side where my helmet hit the ground. Computational skills had become low and I was struggling with staffs IT engineering documents. After about month 4 it was clear damage had been done. Short term memory was shot and mental fatigue was high.

I finally reached out to get some medical help and was referred to a head clinic. Basically the damage was done and I embarked on a program of rebuilding neural pathways. I set myself a series of short term protects and re-learnings. Each built on the last. Over a 3 year period Brian function returned back to quite good with the only issue now is short term memory isn’t what it used to be.

What I did find though is that if you have delayed concussion much of the learnings about stroke rehabilitation applies. There are some really good online learning sites with puzzles and things , but patience’s is required and it can take some time for the mind to heal and rebuild. These days I’m back to reading and comprehension of engineering docs is good again. And personality side I’m back to former rather than the tired grumpy person I was initially.