NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
GMO gets a whole lot of things grouped into it that don't really belong there. IF you have a prize heifer, it's probably a GMO because breeders chose specific animal traits to breed to get that cow. Same with wheat, tomatoes, oranges, avocados, . . .

The thing to be worried about are those where you have cross-species GMO. I don't want my tomatoes to be so resistant to freeze because they have frog blood in them.

Just my $.02
Then again, that is more selective breeding or natural mutation that just so happen to work (like how walnuts were previously toxic), rather than the meaning of colliding different genes under a microscope, which is the more specific definition of a GMO, or rather, the type of GMO that I'm talking about. Also, the cross species is noble in intent, but still going against biological nature (which I still have a big problem with), whether it's intended perfectly, a selective breeding or mutation. Again, my main problem is having to force a species to accept a foreign DNA strand collusion to be resistant to a toxin.

Now, if you have a toxin that would otherwise kill the plant and still kill whatever critter tries to eat it... Especially if biological organisms, whether humans, animals, plants and whatnot are designed to absorb stuff (experiment: put a slice of garlic on your foot [yes, foot] and tell me if you taste it 10 minutes later)... But here we are with a stored pesticide/toxin that may not be washed off the surface since again, it may be absorbed into the fruit or vegetable you're eating.

Even though it may be parts per million, does it get digested or carried out properly? Not always; it gets stored in fat since it's often the path of least resistance... Some implants (including boob jobs) are even encapsulated in fat to lessen the chances of rejection. Then when it accumulates, it'll be in a concentration big enough to start affecting people. The US FDA only allows for a short clinical trial to approve things, while other countries are a bit more rigorous. Going back to food for example: Wine grapes grown in the Palermo region of Italy is tested against 300+ pesticides, while the US is only required to test against 50 or so.

My family forced me into being a pharmacy technician during the .com bubble's burst in the early 2000s, and as a result, everything about the big pharma sickened me so much, I would rather get into $10K of student loan debt than to continue working with them another DAY. Other factors are another conversation for another time.
::THE MACHETE::