View Single Post
      11-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #42
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I have owned many Corvettes over the years including a C6 Z06.

Yes, the older cars had their niggles here and there, but nothing big at all. Once I got into the C5 the car was much improved in every way. I never had an issue with either the C5 or the C6 Z06. I never had an issue with customer service with any of my Corvettes. If you're unhappy with a dealer, go to another one or complain to GM instead of just taking it.

For those of you who dismiss the Corvette "just because" it's a Corvette are missing the boat completely. These cars are highly capable in ALL categories of performance. Check out the latest Car and Driver Lightening Lap results and you'll see how a Z51 C6 (not a Z06) spanked a new M3 by a large margin - about 4 seconds. Oh, and the "superior" M3 had an issue down-shifting under high g-loads as some of our fellow forum members can attest to.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...p_2008_feature
Scroll down to the "DOWNLOADS" at the bottom part of the page and check out the "Lap Time Chart" and the "Reults Chart."

The Z06 is in another category compared to any BMW. It is truly a supercar for M3 money. Take a ride in one and you'll see how it feels to do 60mph in first gear. My car had a Callaway Intake, shifter and Corsa exhaust - what an animal!

And if GM or Ford were to go out of business, our entire country would be in a world of hurt. You do not want to wish that on either company - our economy relies on them more than you can imagine.
Unless I missed a few posts, no one is saying Corvettes are lacking in raw automotive performance. They are fast cars in all performance categories, as you stated. Where a Corvette is lacking, and why I view it as unimpressive is when you take into account the driver.

As for Ford/GM going out of business. Hard to tell what will happen, but they did it to themselves. If they do go under, then it would open the doors wide open for a new brand. A brand that us Americans could actually be proud of, and they could finally get it right. Since all of the infrastructure for retail and all would already be in place.