View Single Post
      07-26-2023, 08:41 AM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

No right or wrong. I prefer being close to the city (we are 4 miles outside of downtown but still very urban) for all the city has to offer (restaurants, bars, shopping, season ticket holder to MLS and can be in our seats in 15 minutes, concerts, other events). Lots of friends live near us & if we want to stop by for 20 minutes we can. Live 20 minutes away & would never happen for a short visit, has to be an event, so it rarely happens. Going downtown and drinking, we can take a cheap Uber, not much more than parking costs so often do it.

I am amazed at my friends that live out of the city, how little they care about driving 20-30 minutes to go to a pretty simple dinner or shopping. I would never consider it unless one of these friends wanted to meet somewhere.

I don't want a big yard because of the hassles that come with it. We know all our neighbors & see them regularly, large property does a good job of separating you from them if that is what you want. Lots of people out walking/running/biking in our area, with a Rails to Trails line maybe 6 blocks away. Living in a house built in 1908 it's interesting that they all had front porches (my wife and I often sit there), as time went on people stopped making/using porches and all moved to the back of the house. I guess the majority want to be separated from everyone.

Last edited by David70; 07-26-2023 at 08:52 AM..