12-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #75
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I know what BEAST means...it doesn't apply to the 3 series. But with Porsche, which is more of a status car than a BMW (because Porsche is more strongly associated with being a sports car, whereas BMW is just a sedan/compromise car) -- status immediately plays a bigger role with Porsche. There is no logic here, it JUST is. And I know you know what I mean, just think of Porsche and Ferrari and Lambo, what comes to you mind? Do the same with BMW, its a big difference based on ur gut reactions.

He is saying your gut reaction when you see a Cayman isn't to be in awe of it as you would be a 911. It just doesn't have that cachet. BMW you don't get the same reaction, because no one cares - no one really looks at BMW in awe, except maybe an M3 or M5...even that not for long.

But what most of you guys are saying, is who cares? Its a technically such an AMAZING car -- go for it! It really is a hoot to drive, so responsive, sonorous, agile, with great feedback!

I agree with most of you guys, that you should get what you want to get. Technically, the Cayman is AMAZING. Like I said, best car for value, if you're a driver -- just amazing.

For some people personally, as amazing as the Cayman is, its not a 911. But Meh, a real man does what he wants...who cares what people on boards think!
Very well said...

As much as I agree, I'd have to say I wouldn't remember a 911 an hour later if it passed me. Yes the Cayman is looked upon as a lesser Porsche, yet many don't take a 911 into much notice to begin with. Unfortunately, many people don't realize how intensely euphoric and advanced Porsche vehicles are, and having the lower-end model of a vehicle people seldom take into account is just fine for me. And I doubt I'd ever run into a 911, let alone another Porsche driving in a Cayman

Plus the fact that the vehicle beautiful and is an amazing platform for building something better would have me itching to buy one, had a saw one drive by. Kind of the same feeling when you see an old E30. Money limits are forgotten as you put together a masterpiece.