01-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #43
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
For the record: I won't. Driving is a privilege; wanting a spot in the lane I'm in is even more of a privilege. I'm there already, so I have the 'right' of way. They're not there yet; they don't have a 'right' to be where I am. Ergo, they can wait their turn to be where I already am.

Basically, those who feel they have a right to be where I already am are going about operating a vehicle completely the wrong way.
I've never gotten a good answer to this. 3 lane highway, car in left, car in right, center empty. Both want to change lanes into center at same time. Who has right of way, technically/legally/whatever?

Part of me says I do after I drop it a gear and get on the throttle so it's a non issue! Rationally I could see argument for person in left. My "right of way" logic is mildly skewed though. I am a huge proponent of more expensive car always has right of way and fee-based highway systems where you could pay something along the lines of $5K per year for a VIP driving pass similar to an Autobahn vigntte and there are certain highways that you can only access with this "pay-to-play" model to cut down on traffic. Basically throw money at the problem if you can to make it go away.

While we are bitching here may as well add there are some good guys out there. Pulled up to a stop sign and a dude in a big truck was there first, obvs had right of way. He waved me out, had my top down and he yelled "no point in my slowing you up in your fancy speed machine."
Viffermike1753.00