View Single Post
      11-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #31
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
BMW is just as premium as Porsche and sells ridiculously expensive cars. Many BMW dealers sell oil change services for under $100. My local dealer has a 3-year oil service plan for $200. Assuming 1 change a year, it's $66 per service. While the service labor rate at a Porche dealer may be $200/hr., I doubt the tech gets paid a premium wage materially above a tech at the VW dealer down the street; the dealer just makes more profit. All modern cars are complicated, require special training, and require special tools.

Friend of mine brought his 996 to me because the front trans mount bushing is toast. He had and oil leak as well, which is a crack in the oil pan. The bushing needs a special tool because Porche uses two through bolts instead of 1, so you can't use a generic bushing remover/installer tool set on it. We temporarily fixed the seeping crack in the oil pan with HVAC aluminum duct tape, until the engine is ready for an oil change and he gets the "oil pan"; the engine is dry sump obviously, so it's really just a cover. It will take 10 minutes to install once the oil is drained.

I've worked on my brother's CryCo Crossfire, which is basically a rebodied Mercedes-Benz SLK. It's just a standard 'ole German car industry automobile with a commonplace V6; there's no exotic Mercedes-Benz magic to it any more than a BMW is unique.

The Mecan is just a VW MLB/MQB platform SUV. It's as mechanically special as a peanut.
BMW is not just as premium as Porsche (my opinion but I digress). As mentioned, cost of service also relies heavily on dealership overhead. Yes you are paying a premium to be servicing your car at a Porsche dealer, but you are also paying for all the bells and whistles that come along with being there vs the VW dealer down the street. Is it worth it? Up to you, that's why I said take it to whoever you want. You don't have to convince me that it's somehow more difficult to change oil on a Macan vs a Tiguan.