Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yeah, multi-TB storage is rough especially if you're dealing with home internet service. My supposed upload speed is around 10Mb/s, but that only holds for a while and then I think the ISP starts throttling it down. A few files move up quickly, but then I can see a huge slow down in transfer speeds. My upload for the university is about the same initial level or 10Mb/s, but it will stay that way, so in the long run it's faster to upload than my home internet.
I'm not sure where the throttling occurs, but it's a real pisser. I've got Comcast at home and Comcast Business at work, both are 10-mps whenever I do a speed test, but try uploading even 10-GB and it starts choking. 2-TB is going to take weeks. My pro-photographer friend as 48-TB!!! The pro-level cold storage, like Amazon S3, costs something like $3,600 PER MONTH for him. I suggested that he use both BackBlaze and CrashPlan with the expectation that one of them will go out of business. He can't afford to lose his life's work, but he can't afford $3,600 per month either. I think that rolling the dice is the way to go and then hedge your bets by using two services.