12-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I had a 2015 GC High Altitude before the M2C, and I was dead set on upgrading to an SRT. I have driven a few, and they're awesome. Some days I wish I had gotten it over the M2, for the daily-ability/practicality/tow options of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I have mixed thoughts on this rig. We bought it because there was a need to get something that can tow, something my wife was comfortable driving, and something respectable that we could put people in the back of (our dog destroyed the back seat area of our Tucson and the M3 is a coupe, so not great for back seat ingress/egress). The Jeep fit the bill nicely on all of those, plus the performance was a nice feature. I simply couldn't get into a base-ish X5, Cayanne, or GLE, given what you get in the Jeep for a similar price. Truth be told, if VW still sold the Touareg in the US, I probably would have opted for one of those.

I've had the vehicle for about a year and here are my thoughts. I hate the so called safety-aids. They're distracting and potentially dangerous as the car will apply the brakes when I'm not expecting them. We got the upgraded HK stereo which to me is only ok. Some songs sound really good, others are horrible depending on how much bass is in the song. The ride could be considered a bit bouncy, but you can toss this 5400 lbs pig around turns and have some fun (depending on how you drive it, it will either understeer or oversteer through turns). The steering is pretty dull if you're expecting anything resembling feel---but it's a jeep, so I'm not expecting a lot. The transmission is pretty smooth in regular mode and upshifts using the paddles are pretty quick. Downshifting into certain gears in sport mode can be pretty clunky, so I'm not happy about that. If you leave it in normal mode, all is good though. The engine---yeah, it's a beast. Plenty of power and launch control is a great party trick. And it tows my corrado effortlessly. Also, I really dig the brakes.

I will say this, I got a ride in a Trackhawk and the guy driving it booted it from like 5 mph and I didn't find it to feel wildly faster than the SRT. I know it's like a second quicker to 60, so it's definitely faster, but it didn't feel that way to me. I was really quite surprised as I was expecting a different experience. And as I found out last week, I was able to keep up nicely with a c7 corvette (non Z06/Zr1, of course) on the highway. I very briefly considered a trackhawk---and if the deal was right, I might have gone for it. But I didn't want to spend >$80k on a Jeep.

The best way I have of describing the overall experience is that it's a muscle SUV. It's got a lot of features and is pretty well made, but it's not going to give you the luxury car feel that a luxury brand is associated with. Despite its faults, it's just a really charming vehicle. It reminds me a bit of why I was obsessed with VWs back in the day. They were just nice driving cars for what they were and compared with other vehicles of a similar price.
Thanks for the feedback. Honestly the only reason we've been tossing the idea is because she likes being higher in the road and would prefer an SUV. I personally want to get a 3 series wagon for her so we can have a car and little better gas mileage for the trips, but time will tell. We don't need the towing and all; we've got a Gladiator Rubicon that's more than capable for our needs. If we "gotta" get the SUV, it might as well be a fun one.