02-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #22
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's not the first time we've heard rumors of the C Class coupe and convertible being dead. It makes sense. Non-SUV sales are still falling, and this leaves two door models, which were already a small niche, with a very thin slice of the pie. I've read rumors of Mercedes going to a single four seat coupe/convertible model, similar to the old CLK (but this time also with no CL or S Class coupe/convertible in the lineup, obviously). I suspect this is where they are headed. Audi is there already with the A3/S3 convertible now gone and TT 2+2 coupe in its final model year, leaving only the A5/S5/RS5 four seat, two door models.

This may or may not foretell a similar future for BMW. With Mercedes reducing their sedan based two-door fleet, it opens opportunity for BMW. On the other hand, it is still a declining segment. At a minimum, it seems increasingly unlikely that the two door 8 Series models will survive past the current generation. If we assume that will happen for the sake of argument, the bigger question becomes, after the G42 2er and G22/G23 4er finish out toward the end of the decade, does BMW try to combine those into a single model somehow? If this were to happen, it would mean the end of either the M2 or M4 so it would obviously have big implications for enthusiasts.
Yep rumor has it a "CLE" coupe/cab will be replacing both C and E coupe/cabs. Hopefully it will retain the E-Coupe's lack of a B-Pillar, its just such an awesome and unique design having the windows down with no B-Pillar but still having a metal roof. The only coupe/cabs left other than that will be the SL and GT.

I could see BMW following suit and thinning out the lineup. The 8er is pretty much already on its way out, along with the Z4, leaving the 2er and 4er. The 2er is one foot in the grave with the cab being dead. Sad times ahead for lovers of 2-doors.