02-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Or alternatively one simply acknowledges that, outside of a relatively small group of hardcore enthusiasts, most people don't scrutinize every last aspect of vehicle design and appearance as part of their purchasing process. Obviously the way a vehicle looks does play a role in what people buy. But laymen criteria for what looks good and what doesn't tend to be far less sophisticated than those features "car guys/gals" may obsess over.

This phenomena isn't limited to automotive world, nor is it even limited to aesthetics. It's just that most people are looking for something that meets their needs and don't care to analyze deeply. Whether it's a $5 bottle of wine that gets the job done, the model of washer/dryer they in the Best Buy circular, the condo advertised at $169,990 on the big billboard, whatever. Consumers are just that - consumers. They consume things and move on with life.
I agree with what you are saying. I believe most buyers don't really care about the size of the grille either way. Big or small they don't care as long as the car excels at what they are looking for in their commuter whether that be utility, sportiness, fuel economy, etc. However with the screens the reality is that they are distracting and force drivers to take their eyes off the roads. Once we get to the days of autonomous vehicles this will be a non-factor but I'm a believer that the average driver today is far worse than drivers of a few decades ago because of the distractions going on inside their vehicle whether it be them on their cell phone or navigating through infotainment screens. I have already got used to big grilles and don't mind them in most applications but I'm never going to like having to use a touch screen to change interior temperature or turn on heated seats.