captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
But you aren't a pro driver. These guys drives cars for a living. They don't need an engaging weekend canyon carver.

Like I said, of course DCT is faster. Again I am so tired of hearing this argument, you guys aren't trying to shave seconds off your run to the grocery store so who cares if it's faster?!

That's the opposite of what I'm saying. Everyone defends DCT because it is faster. What I'm saying is why does everyone think they run the Nurburgring every weekend and need to shift faster? Manual is slower. There's no way you can argue DCT is a more engaging experience because it is computer driven and disconnected.

My experience here in Alberta is that most DCT drivers cannot drive manual and are too ashamed to admit it. This usually comes out at HPDE. But they are quick to point out that DCT "shifts faster than manual" and "saves fuel". Which.. is hilarious because you own an M car.. and care about fuel consumption.. but that's another argument.
If you read my post you would have seen that we were discussing control not shift speed and the consensus was that MTs do not give more control as many here have claimed. As far as shift speed is concerned I have stated that I consider it to be a moot point in a street car.

As for what you find engaging, fine. Just don't try to tell anyone else what they should find engaging. I have no idea what other people find "engaging" unless they tell me and if they do I am certainly not going to dispute it.

Personally I am not trying to shave seconds off trips to the grocery store. I also don't find driving to the grocery store particularly engaging regardless of what I drive there.

As for being computer driven and disconnected the whole damn car is computer driven. The throttle, the suspension, the brakes, the engine and the auto rev matching and hill holding on the (Semi) manual transmission.

My experience at high performance driving schools is that many MT drivers are not particularly good at driving MTs. Some realize and want to learn to improve and others are totally oblivious to their own shortcomings.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England