View Single Post
      09-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #55
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Cell phones can be great tools and have a lot of positives. They are also abused and have lots of negatives. To many people, they are like security blankets. They feel like they need to have them out all the time and be within sight.

During work meetings, it drives me nuts when people put their phones on the conference room table or check them while people are talking/presenting. It's freaking rude. If you're expecting an important call, then put the phone to vibrate, and excuse yourself if it rings. Otherwise, your emails and texts can wait. You're not that important.

Studies firmly show that having a phone within site creates anxiety and a need to check it often to make sure the person isn't missing out on something. Think about that.

I'm married and have to kids (14 and 10). We eat dinner nearly every night at the dinner table. Phones are not allowed. If we're hanging out together or out to eat, phones are ok (assuming food isn't on the table), BUT if we converse with one another, the rule is you put the phone away and you talk with undivided attention. That rule applies in social scenarios too. If someone talks to you, the phone goes down.

I am amused to see so many people instantly grab for a phone when they don't have anything to do. I'm guilty of it as well. I don't see a huge problem with it though as many of us are reading forums, news, books, etc. It in many cases, it can be no different than reading a magazine. However, sometimes it is nice to just think, stare, people watch, see the scenery, etc.

A big problem with phones is social media. I firmly believe the negatives outweigh the positives. I only use social media for the sports leagues I'm involved in and local music/festival events. That's all I care about. The constant feed on social media can suck people in and they waste hours on end during the day. So much of the "information" and pictures on social media are doctored, fake, sensational, and generally not representative of reality. It affects people; largely in a bad way.

I respect phones for the ability to help me research, provide maps/directions, has my music/movies/shows, has a camera, and helps keep me connected to people/work (sometimes a negative).

Phones are also instrumental in distributing information in repressed countries. I firmly believe phones and their ability to distribute information and amass/align large groups will be ultimately responsible for the fall/restructuring of places like North Korea, Russia, portions of the Middle East (Iran), South American, and even the US.