View Single Post
      02-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 M6

Help me decide...

OK, folks I need a little help making a decision on a timepiece.

Exhibition back preferred
Chronograph is nice, but not necessary
I don't need a date, but if it's there, so be it
Something that can take a dunk, but doesn't need to dive

Comments about the quality of the movement and any idiosyncrasies are welcome. Speculation about resale value in a pinch (because sometimes life doesn't go according to plan) would also be welcome.

I'm pretty much all over the map here. Usually, I'm a "buy it once, buy it right" kind of guy. I'm a value buyer not a price buyer - spending more doesn't necessarily buy you more.

Here's the short list, not necessarily in any order:

Hublot Big Bang
Ulysse Nardin 1846 (Arabic numerals, sword hands, white or blue dial)
IWC Aquatimer (I like the new style - old models are overpriced for some reason)
IWC Ingenieur (I really like the AMG model...)
Bell & Ross (01 model, or any square case)
Omegas: Planet Ocean Chrono, vintage Seamaster either non Chrono or titanium Chrono, Speedmaster but it would have to be a sapphire crystal - the hesalite won't cut it.

Sorry, but Rolex doesn't do it for me. *yawn*

Though a chronograph and motorsports go together like peanut butter and jelly, I don't necessarily need one. I used to have an ElPrimero based Concord and rarely used it. But I do like the idea that such a complication is an inherent celebration of the watchmakers art. So, maybe two watches - an affordable pre-owned chrono for knocking about, and a nice dress watch (like the UN 1846) for business. Or should I just go for the Hublot and put all my eggs in one basket?

Other recommendations also appreciated.

Thanks!