View Single Post
      11-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Here is what is REALLY happening in the US manufacturing sector, regardless of what effect the drop in the value of the dollar theoretically should be doing. The number of jobs has dropped down to the exact same number of jobs as there were in the early 1950's! Half a century of manufacturing jobs have all been wiped out since 2000. There is no surge in US manufacturing due to the devaluation of the dollar.

What is happening in China doesn't matter. What should be happening according to the models doesn't matter.

The facts on the ground here in the US is that is just isn't happening. And I've covered exactly why.

If you have something to contradict what I've presented, I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

Otherwise, I stand by my original statement, and you've provided nothing to contradict it:

"Don't believe it when they tell you that the weak dollar isn't all that bad because it will revive the US manufacturing industry. It isn't that simple, and it isn't happening. The weak USD has been nothing but bad for the US."

I got this graph directly from the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics

http://www.bls.gov/iag/manufacturing.htm

(click on the Chart Data link under the graph of employment in manufacturing going from more than 17 million jobs in 2000, then dropping by 3 million jobs to 14,197,000 in 2006. Then set "change output options to "From: 1950 To: 2007". check include graphs NEW! and click "GO". You will get the same graph as below)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0