05-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #17
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
This thing is giving me a headache.

Sorry what do I need to calculate for, is it just spring rate?

I'm interested on Tein flex z coilovers with EDFC for my car. According to their advertisement sheet it springs are F: 6kg/mm and 10.6kg/mm

That's about 336 lbs/in and 594 lbs/in.
Most coilovers out of the box have spring rates that aren't really optimized for the chassis. They tend to push a more pitch ratio because that style tends to be more "sporty" feeling to end users. What ends up happening is the rear end tends to trail behind the front (good steering input feel due to the higher front ride freq) but this tends to make it easy for the chassis to get upset on more textured surfaces. Also this setup also lends itself that see-saw motion pitchiness that comes with really textured roads. When your car has flat ride (where the rear rate is a higher frequency than the front), the car will settle quicker and also the rear will follow the front end around corners better.

That's like a really high level of what the bounce freq ratio is for. This is purely for spring rates only but doesn't take into account bump stop stiffness/engagement or sway bars yet. There's lot of info on this stuff by Farkie as well as on youtube from Fat Cat Motorsports who really goes into depth. I'd recommend checking all the resources out if you want to understand how it all fits together.