View Single Post
      06-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #19
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
To each his own, but from my perspective I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want all of this tech in their homes. I will confess I have a Nest thermostat mostly because we used to have two homes and I liked being able to pre-cool/heat before we arrived. I have sonos play 1 but not the voice activated ones. I refuse to have Alexa or any similar products in my home. The idea that anyone is listening in or building a profile of me and my family strikes me as too far reaching. I get it, there are already profiles built on my browsing history, on line purchases etc. Loyalty cards and the list goes on, I don't have any loyalty cards FTR. And I don't think anyone is actually monitoring every Alexa conversation but the principal strikes me as too far reaching. I wouldn't let the government into my home without a warrant, why the hell would I let some private company.
Yeah I tried Alexa and google home but unplugged them as they are listening all the time and would go off at random times from sounds from the TV, etc. I'm fine using my smart home devices without a voice assistant which has too many bugs and privacy issues.