Thread: SMG vs. manual?
View Single Post
      11-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #18
Don't Tread On Me
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2003 M3, 2004 330xi

SMG v. 6 speed

First post, long time reader. I am looking forward to chatting with you all.

Having owned both transmissions, with two years of overlap, all I can say is that it is a tough call.

Did Euro delivery on my 02 M3 SMG coupe and after the break in it was mind blowing (25 days and one oil change). I am very excited about the newer version of SMG in the E92 as improvement was needed. I am also on the list for 2nd year production Euro delivery E92 SMG.

With that said, I bought my wife an 03 M3 CIC with a 6 speed, did performance center delivery, and we still have it. Sweet ride and I feel more in touch with the car when driving it, but I can not honestly hammer it like the SMG.

I have been to advanced driving schools, heal toe down shifting and throttle blimping are things I work on. I can do it, but I need improvement for sure. Few folk really know how to do it well at 8/10th and beyond so the SMG is clearly the way to go if you have this kind of driving in mind. Sometimes it is a blast. A few times it was handy to be able to really move with the SMG giving you that little advantage the road rage monkey did not have. Traffic in the metro areas is also an issue that tips the scales to SMG. Track and high speed (140 MPH plus) SMG is best for all but the truely gifted drivers or the very well practiced. Again this not practical in the USA unless in a controlled environment or you are crazy (and that happens).

The six speed in for the purest, which is most of us. The truely gifted driver(most of are not, sorry fellows) who knows how to hammer this tranny on the track is also drawn to this transmission. Humble pie at driving school will teach you this and get you on course to get it right no matter what transmission you drive.

If the car is your everyday driver and you drive it below the 8/10th limit most of the time then the 6 speed is the deal (minus metro traffic or a strong foot). Want more out of the 6 speed go to school or get an SMG (and still go to school).

Just my thoughts having been there, owned both side by side everyday for years. Neither is a bad choice, oh to have such problems, aren't we all lucky to have such a dilema.
Appreciate 0