View Single Post
      02-02-2020, 11:35 PM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Do you trust the service indicator in your vehicle?

In my BMW I never question its validity and always take it in when the vehicle calls for service since it's free for a while. My first oil change being just over 5000 miles.

Using the same rule in my late model Chevy 5.3L V8 truck, I read that it was safe to change the oil when the oil life reaches 15% This means the service interval can be 5000 miles to 10k miles depending on set algorithm based on driving conditions. One particular dealer told me that it is imperative that I change my oil every 5000 miles or less no matter what. (Unfortunately GM only gave me 2 free oil changes)

My question is how does a brand new small block V8 consume 1 quart of synthetic oil every 1000 miles as suggested by the dealer when there are only 6 quarts of oil in there. I usually change oil at 25% life or around 7500 miles in my driving situation.

Based on their assessment, there would be negative 1.5 quart of oil in the crankcase.

I would like my vehicle to last but I also don't want to be duped.

Every website I read including GM indicated that the indicator is pretty accurate. Is there something I'm missing here?

Last edited by GenXer; 02-02-2020 at 11:47 PM..