04-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
What are you using for a camera mount?
I'm using the finest in redneck engineering - a 2x4 piece of lumber! I hate that I don't have a picture to upload...

Basically, it's a 2x4 with two holes drilled in it for the headrest posts to go through. The headrest posts and the headrest itself hold the board in place. The board was cut to length so that my camera is mounted half-way between the two front seats. A multi-adjustable ball camera mount (about $10 I think) is attached to the board so that I can mount the camera and aim it as needed. If I mount this contraption to the passenger seat, then I can also adjust that seat to change the camera's view.

A good friend of mine came up this this for his WRX, and was kind enough to make me one too. It's incredibly cost effective and a real conversation starter at the Autocrosses. One issue is vibration dampening. My camera can compensate to certain degree, but rough surfaces like the parking lot used for the AutoX are exhaggerated in the video. When I was at Road Atlanta last month, I notice someone had a camera mount that worked in a very similar manner, but was "store bought". Not sure where they got it.