11-13-2023, 10:07 AM   #240
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Apparently you completely missed the post right above the one you just made and forgot about the post I made in response to your initial post about the X2 M35i.
My bad, I must be getting older.

Quote:
I completely disagree with you that none of it matters. All of it matters. It all makes the driving experience what it is. Just as one example, as I mentioned regarding the fact that I enjoyed driving the X2 M35i it still was apparent it was a fwd car and not rwd and there was zero sensation of being “pushed” around the corners that comes with rwd BMWs and even with traditional rwd biased xDrive BMWs and when pushed hard there was some front torque steer that non-fwd BMWs do not have.
Mostly right. The best driving experience IMO is achieved by pushing the traction control button with a short press, enabling DTC.

We both agree that driving the X2 M35i is fun, despite it having different driving dynamics than traditional BMW's. So this is exactly the reason why a serial RWD BMW owner like myself can find themselves buying this car. It is way more fun than the alternatives I had tried at the time: X3, 5 series, and 3 series. It just has this energy, simply buzzing, straining at the leash - I always drive it like I stole it.

What other model in the BMW lineup can match this level of excitement, and practicality, at that price? This is a serious question, point me to it and I might bite.

Quote:
Just a small note regarding transmissions. I don’t think anyone will offer a dispute that the ZF transmissions BMW is using today are significantly superior to the GM transmissions they used in some of their cars in years past. The Getrag transmissions were also preferred by most over the GM transmissions. That’s not even to say the GM transmissions were bad. GM has been known for having good automatic transmissions, but the ZFs and Getrags were better suited for BMW’s applications. So, yes all of the factors matter.
I thought the GM versions were totally boring and not suited to a BMW. It is why I never bought one with a GM tranny in it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i