View Single Post
      05-30-2022, 12:01 AM   #1
M4_ZMT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '21 i3S, '01 325i

New (to me) E46 daily overhaul/project

Hello all! I have always loved the E46 body style ever since I was a kid, it's just so well balanced design wise and loved the way they drove. I picked up this 2001 325i, Steel Grey (400) on grey leather, two owner local car. She has 145k on her M54 and is Steptronic (my weekend car is manual) with Sport Package, Premium, Xenons, Harmon Kardon (sounds bomb!). It isn't a rocket but it pulls nicely still and is definitely a momentum car in the canyons. It was well cared for California car with zero rust or anything like that- but since buying it I have done a TON of maintenance on her, and its turned into quite the fun project. I find it weird that I'm positing about an E46 in the "classic" forum but here we are, she isn't bad for 22 years old. It is a money pit for sure, but I adore it. Here's some of the stuff I've done and pics.

Currently have done:
-All fluids flushed and changed and filters (I mean all), yes, even the diff and AT which still shifts smooth as butter- or at least as smooth as that unit ever did
-Front suspension overhaul- new bushings, arms, ball joints, struts
-Rear suspension overhaul- new axle, wheel bearings, and shocks
-New Pirelli P Zero Nero GT tires and fresh alignment BMW KDS
-Xenons bulbs replaced, rear taillamps replaced to euro clears as well as side markers
-New seatbelt on driver side (typical retracting issue), replaced A and B pillars due to sagging material, had leather redyed and partially repaired, it wasn't in too bad of shape
-Cooling system redo- new t-stat, expansion tank, fan clutch, trans t-stat; tank vent valve due to random CEL, vanos oil feed line
-steering rack coupling, various hoses found to be leaking replaced
-exterior moulding replaced around exterior windows on driver side, new cowl moulding, underbody moulding
-window regulator driver side due to slow movement
-HVAC recharged
-motor mounts, fuel filter, spark plugs, coils, ambient temp sensor, new 12V battery BMW OEM
-new front brakes complete
-serpentine belt
-all four rims repaired
-OEM E46/E39 roof rack with generic Amazon faring that works wonders
-TOO MUCH TO MENTION. Also, the best part is that everything has a 2 year warranty. It honestly drives like a new car, it's outstanding.

-I still have stuff to do, paint the roof, etc. but in the end it's shaping up to be a beautiful clean example of an E46. I can't help but try and keep these on the road for as long as possible. I'm a coupe facelift fan, but I'm now seeing the beauty of the OG pre-facelift sedan vs. facelift sedan, there's a little more M3 vibe thrown in there on my lowley but enduring 325i.
Attached Images

Last edited by M4_ZMT; 05-30-2022 at 12:12 AM..