View Single Post
      03-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #49
core22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: X3 M40i / 911 C4S

Ask 2 dozen people and you will get back 2 dozen models of shoe recommended for running. A great fit is highly personalized, and what works for one person may not be best for someone else.

All brands have shoes designed for different situations - pronation, neutral, stability, and more. Its within the brands themselves where you have to dig deeper. Brooks for example, provide some great shoes, but you have to know what you're looking for. Glycerins are amazingly comfortable, but if you pronate they're not for you; you would look to the Transcend model instead, as they have the same cushion as the Glycerin, but have stability components built in to aid in pronation. Glycerins are neutral and offer no support. Same goes for the Ghost and Adrenaline GTS, also both Brooks shoes, but Adrenalines have support structure for stability and pronators, while the Ghosts are much more neutral. So what's the difference between the Glycerins and the Ghosts, being that they are both neutral shoes made by Brooks? The materials that go into making them provide for different price-points - $150 vs $120. And this is just an example of a small handful of shoes within a single brand. There are several manufacturers, all with the same types of offerings. Another example is Asics: Kayano and Nimbus models. Both are the top end price-wise, and are highly regarded, but 1 is for neutral runners and 1 is for those who require more support. Then compare the Nimbus to the Cumulus model, also Asics: both are for neutral runners, but are at different price points based on the materials they're constructed with. Same goes for New Balance, Saucony, Nike, Hoka, Altra, and many many more brands.

What I'm trying to say is the best bet is to go see a professional at a running-specific store (and NOT REI, Dicks, and the like). Folks working at running-specific stores live and breath this stuff, and know what to recommend given various types of runners and their needs.

Past:
2013 911 C4S | 2019 X2 M35i | 2015 M5 Comp | 2013 M5 | 2013 640i | 2010 535xi | 2007 525xi