The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Focused on the T, I see.
yes, however, i think i was shooting about F13 or so, but it was my main objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Weight, physical size, sometimes price. Can you imagine carrying around a 70-200mm f/2.8L II with you all around the city instead of a 135mm f/2L? Sure, you lose the some flexibility in reach, but the weight savings alone on a day-long walking trip is invaluable. You can also take the 50mm or 85mm, etc instead.

That being said, the 70-200mm has it's own distinct advantages, but there are many reasonable explanations of why people would choose to bring a prime or two instead of that beast.

A prime cannot replace a zoom if all you're concerned with is your reach versatility, but you can also argue that a zoom sometimes (or many times depending on your style) cannot replace a prime.
I do carry my 70-200 F2.8L everywhere I used to always carry my 100-400, but the 70-200 takes up so much room, I had to sacrifice. I also carry 2 bodies about 90% of the time.

I do this mainly because i'm travelling somewhere. If I know i'm going to be shooting something specific, I'll clear out part of my bag. Like for example, shooting in the evening or at night, I don't bother to pack the 7D. Shooting it at 3200ISO is painful. And a lot of cleaning up is required after.

I often have 2 flashes as well. (not sure why, i hardly touch them unless I'm indoors. I should really work on getting them on my camera more often when I'm outside for fill light.

I see what you're saying about using a prime to save weight, and I agree, but I also agree along the lines of what Dave is saying. when i have my 70-200 F2.8 on, I don't really see much of a sacrifice happening when comparing similar images to my 135L Yes there's some things noticable, but enough to sacrifice flexibility?

I'll use my 135L and my 100 macro shooting portraits indoors to get a nice DOF, but beyond that, I have trouble justifying using them day to day outside. (that being said, I'll put a prime on one camera, and a zoom on the other, and where one lacks, the other will solve the issue. I did this at my buddies wedding and for a business shoot for another friend)