01-24-2023, 03:01 PM   #289
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
How do you slow down, without stopping?
Last night I take off, and first click is better than a while, 5:25. I was a bit upset at some of the parking issues I see continue in my neighborhood.
But then comes the inevitable slowing of pace that I seem to experience as I get into middle distance. I *think* I need to slow down at beginning to be able to maintain consistent pace thru-out, but I just can't seem to do it. Then I get gassed and end up walking portions. . .

Getting old(er) sucks! I so love running, but running don't so much love my older body any more.
I'm not very good with pacing. I'm getting better. My improvement is a combo of running with my wife (who is very disciplined and good at pacing) and treadmill runs (because the machine controls your pace).

As a result of that, I'm starting to be able to tell how fast I'm running, meaning that when I am about to look at my watch I guess that I am running 7:15 or 9:30 or whatever pace and I'm close. Maybe you have a running buddy or a treadmill (or both) that could help you out.