01-08-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
For those of us not counting our macros, would be great to hear from someone, who is, as well as how that translates into your diet.

I've calculated mine, but if you could give me an example meal, based on real world results and experience, that would help a lot.

Protein: 188
Fat: 82
Carbs: 368

Total Calories: 2,963 kcal

This is based off a calculator I found given my age, lifestyle, weightlifting history/consistency and goals of putting on muscle. However, maintaining the muscle I have is honestly the most accurate priority, so these numbers might be a little high because they are based on the goal of adding muscle.
Protein is high in those numbers. Not surprising if you are getting them from a weightlifting point of view. High protein with minimal fat and carbs = fish and eggs, followed by dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt).

I have counted macros, total caloric intake and body weight, for a long time. I have a pretty good idea of what my body will do based on food quantity/quality and level of activity.

I have played around with my database collected over the years and tried to match your target numbers. I don't eat the pattern you have listed so I didn't arrive at your target numbers. I eat more fat and carbs than your target values. My BMI is in the healthy range and body fat % (roughly estimated) is below average (athlete). I eat 6 times per day which some people suggest I should be dead by now. Last I checked, I'm not dead (yet). I find fad diets to be, well, fads.

This is a day from my food journal, it is more fat and less protein than your target, and lower total calories. You could take the below and scale it up to 2900 calories:

Breakfast: shredded wheat, whole milk and (real) maple syrup
Lunch: potato, sour cream, butter, salt/pepper, grapes
Dinner: sautéd veggies (mushrooms, onion, broccoli), butter, EVOO, salt/pepper, parmesan
Snacks between meals: pretzels (traditional "unflavored"), bananas, apples, almonds, raisins, honey nut Cheerios with skim milk (!!)

The above is 23% protein by weight, compared to your 29% target.

Last edited by chassis; 01-08-2023 at 06:06 PM..