View Single Post
      04-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #14
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Hey guys, thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

When considering a single tooth replacement, several factors come into play. Location? Sure. If it is the last tooth in the arch, you're pretty much going to have to go with an implant since a bridge requires a tooth on either side of the gap.

Second, what is the condition of the teeth on either side of the gap? Do they already have large fillings in them? Is one or both of them root canal treated? Or are they vrigin teeth? If the teeth are already heavily restored (with or without root canal) then a case could be made for a fixed conventional bridge (two crowns with a fake tooth stuck in the middle) since the adjacent teeth may already be candidates for crowns anyway. Kind of killing two birds with one stone. If you're dealing with virgin teeth, the reduction required to accomodate the crowns that will serve as abutments to the bridge will be significant. In that case, I would definitely recommend an implant supported crown. Would I recommend to someone to get the crowns separately on the adjacent teeth and an implant supported crown to replace the missing tooth. Absolutely. As mentioned before, the implant supported crown is easier to maintain than a bridge. Flossing under a bridge is difficult whereas flossing around an implant supported crown is the same as flossing around a natural tooth.

Hope this answers some questions that the group might have. And yes, I am a dentist and, coincidentally, I had to replaced a tooth some years ago with an implant. I don't really give it a second thought. I brush and floss like I always did. The most important thing is, make sure you trust the person who is putting it in and don't cheap out. It's expensive but this isn't just some aftermarket part you're considering putting on your car. This is something that is being implanted into your body and should last the duration.
dtox9336.00
Llarry14495.50