View Single Post
      04-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #66
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
It sounds like this "right to know" would necessarily mandate disclosures. You didn't explicitly say these disclosures were mandatory, but when you start throwing around "rights" it sounds mandatory.
I can't control your inferences.

Quote:
It might or might not be a "good idea," but I'm definitely against changing the current law to allow the government (state or federal) to mandate anyone publicly release their tax returns. This doesn't change when you run for elected office, or a position in intelligence, law enforcement, judicial, etc.
I never suggested any change to any legislation, either.

Quote:
I guess I'm asking everyone to think about how this would be policed. How would foreign "leverage" be identified when it isn't monetary?
Perhaps it can't be. So? This sounds an awful lot like a "people still do X even when it's illegal" argument. If something can't be accomplished with 100% certainty there's no value in trying to improve it at all?

Quote:
Adding one new thought... What about the "leverage" a candidate/official would be influencing ONTO foreign governments or organizations? We should demand transparency there too, right? So if a candidate/official were "colluding" with say, the EU to push anti-global warming initiatives... Or perhaps "colluding" with the PLO to help the Palestinians' BDS movement? What about disclosures between politicians "colluding" with members of the press?
Do we not already elect politicians (at the Federal level) in large part because of the leverage we expect them to influence on foreign governments? I know foreign policy is a large part of my decision making process.