02-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #7
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
100% agree with your other post, if a person doesn't want to drive himself, then don't buy a car and expect it to drive for you.

Though this post is endemic of the problem with Tesla's use of the term Autopilot. Most of the public think a plane flies itself when on autopilot, which is completely untrue. Maybe the misunderstanding comes from movies over the years or perhaps the term itself, but pilots monitor the process of the plane flight when in autopilot. You can't not pay attention to the road and have a car on "autopilot" is driving itself.

In my view, it is more tiring to watch the car drive rather than just drive it. My opinion is it is more dangerous to not be fully engaged with the driving activity (i.e. not paying full attention) and let the car navigate itself until such time it fails and the driver has to take over. In that situation, with a driver half engaged with the driving activity, he does not have full situational awareness and most often make a driving error when trying to correct for the Autopilot error. I ask one question of any of us, does anyone watch their dishwasher was the dishes? No of course not. It is human nature that once a machine takes over the duty of work and automates it, we humans stop paying attention.

Bottom line is, as you said, just drive the damned car. It's safer. If you don't want to participate in your own safety by driving yourself, don't rely on the machine, hire the job out to a professional.
Well I am not a native speaker so I wouldn’t be able to use your wording on that subject and I 100% agree. I didn’t mean that pilot would throw the plane on autopilot and than go to sleep however I’ve seen some videos on YouTube of Tesla owners… some people get mad of all the rules and regulations and guidelines… even manual for toothbrush. Common sense is not common.
Efthreeoh17462.00