01-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Thanks! Changing springs doesn't seem like a straight forward process, need to account for a few things. Any suggestions on B14 vs KW V1 vs Street Comfort? Any experience with B!4 in particular?
For KW V1 will adding two .1" ships cause any issues?
Changing springs is literally just swapping one spring out and putting a different one in. The post below says the SC rear spring rate is 100N/mm. So you can go to Hyperco/Swift/Eibach's catalog and look through their coilover springs (I believe the rear springs are 60mm ID) and pick out one with the same spring rate, but longer free length. I like that they kept the front spring rate reasonable on the SC, but would prefer they went up in the rear to 115 N/mm. 115 N/mm isn't terribly far off from 100 N/mm such that the damper wouldn't handle it at all.

Alternatively, you could see what the spring rates come with the F31, F34, and F36 versions of KW's coilovers. Those might already come with rear spring rates that are what I'd prefer, and ride a bit taller because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daac View Post
Hey guys. I recently emailed kw about spring rates for my car wanted to compare to the v1s. The answers I got is the fronts are progressive and therefore no set spring rate and the rears are linear 575in/lbs. I initially emailed the euro address first and got a different answer. Their response was that they were both linear and the rates are 45 and 100 N/mm. 262 and 571in/lbs. So I'm a little confused now. I confirmed they were both talking about the same kit #1802000U. Also, everything I've read on the forums say they are linear springs. Anyone know first hand about linear or progressive?

I don't have much seat time with KWs, plenty with B14s though. Too high front spring rate, too low rear spring rate. I don't like how they tuned the rear. I personally wouldn't buy a B14 kit without planning on swapping in different spring rates or using it as a donor set for a custom build (which they're excellent donors for).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 01-31-2020 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0