View Single Post
      05-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #3396
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Ok, but again, how does your country differ that much from mine? We don't have any "right" to arms, so if you want one to go hunting with or target practice, you have to go get a license. And there are many firearms that are prohibited (which means unless you somehow have a prohibited license which is almost never, and even if you did, you could never take those firearms anywhere and shoot them anyways, you can't acquire them).

And if you want a restricted firearm, like any type of pistol, you have to go get a second license and there are some very stiff restrictions (can't carry, can't take it anywhere except for a range, can't take it with you hunting, basically can't take it anywhere except a range or a gunsmith to get fixed).

Everyone has to have a license if you want any firearm. And comply with all the transportation rules, and safe storage rules.

And despite all that, numbnuts Liberals are apparently eyeing the idea of just making all handguns illegal.
Though in the USA we have the right to bear arms in our Constitution, it varies from state to state (or even city to city), they can (or try to) enact laws to ban certain things. Seems like a constant battle between gun control advocates (typically leftist/liberals) and freedom of arms advocates. Places like NYC and California have really awful anti gun laws. Some other states are trying to implement more gun laws, such as Washington state.

Things like hunting, depending on the state and animal, we may need a permit or animal tag to be allowed to legally shoot it. Also there are seasons where they regulate the use of firearms vs bows.
Target shooting is dependent on location and local gov't regulations. I know in Washington we can shoot on federal forests and some state forest locations. Because of stupid illresponsible shooters bring their broken down junk to shoot, some places have started being set to be off limits.

Type of firearms, we can get most types, but all are semi auto. Civilians are not allowed to own any machine gun built after 1982 (if I remember my dates correctly). FFL (Federal Firearm License) dealers can get them after those dates, but depending on the MG's build date and type of FFL license, they may need law enforcement or military letters stating they need firearms built after 1986 for demos. Of course ownership of MGs is dependent on the state laws. Note I had mention 1982 and 1986.. those are important because between 1982 and 1986 there was a loophole to get machine guns without the government demo letter requirement. They are typically called "pre-may" machine guns. Posties are after May 1986, when the loophole got closed up.

Depending on the location, you can get SBR (short barrel rifles, barrel length under 16"), suppressors, etc.. but they all require a $200 "tax stamp" to pay the government to own.. and wait 6-12 months for approval of ownership. It think this is stupid, but it's the law.

Note that my info may not be perfectly correct, but you can get the gist of things.