View Single Post
      08-12-2015, 12:49 AM   #85
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio1988 View Post
Ever since the 03-04 Cobra, Ford has seriously underestimated power output of the engines. A very good friend of mine is the head tuner for American Muscle (biggest mustang aftermarket part source in the US) and, well, here are some of the numbers they have gotten from their bone stock cars on a Mustang Dyno, which typically reads lower than a dynojet:

2013 Boss 302
- Advertised: 444 crank hp
- Dyno'd: 405rwhp (given a 15 - 20% drivetrain loss, this would yield 476 - 506 crank hp)

2013 GT500
- Advertised: 662 crank hp
- Dyno'd: 590 (given a 15-20% drivetrain loss, this would yield 694 - 737 crank hp)

These are not fluke stories either, as it seems Ford underestimates all their cars. If they're saying the GT350 is pumping out 520, and they're pulling GT3 laptimes, I'd believe it, because given Ford's track record, 520 is likely to mean close to 600.
Power is nothing if you can't put it down. Both of those cars were easily bested by their lesser-HP and heavier Camaro counterparts around the track. Why? The Camaros could put their power down, with magnetic suspension, wider tires, better weight distribution, independent rear suspension, better brakes/cooling, etc.

Just because the 350R is going that much faster around the track doesn't me an it's making 800hp, Ford just have have decided to concentrate on the "total package" a little more, rather than the "hellcat" mentality of stuffing a huge engine and HP in a car that can't possibly put the power down.

I'd rather Ford concentrate their efforts here, on handling and the dynamics, rather than trying to make up for crappy handling by trying to supercharge as many HP as possible to out straight-line everyone else.