02-27-2023, 10:18 AM   #92
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I don’t think so. The dominant run that Mercedes had will likely never be done again - the current and future regulations along with the cost cap will prevent that from happening.

If Mercedes is sandbagging and the W14 becomes this performance leader until 2026, how is losing a year or two a bad thing? I think the mindset needs to change for F1 - you’re going to have off years to build for the future like all sports.

At least that’s how I see it. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect any team to design a new car and hit all aspects of it out of the park. If there was no cost cap, I would 100% agree with you but F1 is now aligned with all sports operating under a salary cap.
Engine regs and the freezing of them will be the major catalyst not the cap. MB got to do what it did because it spent all it's time getting ready for the new regs and they smashed it. No one else was allowed to catch up. When the engines change again we'll see who smashes it then and they will be dominant, unless we get a few that all do well that time round.