08-17-2022, 01:02 PM   #52
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
Yeah it's a sad inevitability but it's not gunna happen until they can convince the majority of drivers to make the switch, which I think is still 5-10 years away. Lots of wasted R&D money designing this stuff now when tech is going to be completely different and better 10 years from now and todays EVs will be obsolete. I stand by my statement of RIP BMW as we know them today, they aren't going to be able to replicate their "Ultimate Driving Machine" experience with electric. BMW will lose its sporty appeal and will just become a luxury car maker like MB has become. Their new slogan should be "The Ultimate Appliance Machine".
Yeah but this is already sort of the case right now. There's just a handful of BMWs that still earn the admiration of enthusiasts, who are a dying breed as it is. Otherwise, it feels like 90%+ of BMW customers just want a "nice car" with good tech and a badge to impress the neighbors. BMW of old is dying a slow death because society has changed. People, politicians, culture etc. are different from before.

All I can hope for is that BMW finds a way to make their EVs lighter and better handling than competitors. I'll bolt on some speakers for fake ICE noises and call it a day.
Cos270608.50