07-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #112
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Yup, that's another pt. I love what Lotus stands for: small/simplified cars, add lightness (Exige was my dream car back then) but the business model didn't work, there simply weren't enough enthusiasts willing to part w their $$$ and that's why Lotus almost went bankrupt and had to be rescued by Geely. The Eliges didn't make it to N Amer and the Evora was too compromised (sporty and capable but not compared to the Eliges being heavier and it was kinda laughable they thought it could compete w Porsche in the sport/luxury segment...the luxury simply wasn't there and there was no DCT option iirc).

Emira presents a fresh start and it looks promising for Lotus. Enthusiasts only have themselves to blame (since they didn't buy enough Loti) if they think it's a step in the wrong direction but I think it's a sign of the times and ppl need to face reality.
Yeah now that you mention it, the US didn't get the Exige because there's no way it would've passed crash testing. So that's a sign that any attempt to build a new ultra lightweight car would be DOA.

I am really excited to see/drive this car. If nothing else, Lotus has gotten our attention. It really emphasizes how important it can be to make sure your product simply looks fucking awesome.

I'm right in the middle of their target demo as a multi-Cayman owner, and I've never considered cross shopping them with a Lotus. I'm considering it now, though.