View Single Post
      09-17-2022, 10:33 PM   #34
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Actually, lithium batteries cost per kWh is down by 90% since 2010 and hopefully more car manufacturers will make it easier to swap out batteries, especially in labor costs. Battery swaps in lieu of charging has already been adopted in China and is spreading. With recycling getting raise in the future, the cost effectiveness of EV batteries will
only increase.
The cost has risen for some batteries, not fallen. The chevy volt is a perfect example and this is cited/detailed in the link I provided. Antiquated parts = more expensive. I deal with this in my line of work a lot, antiquated replacements to keep an asset running often cost more than starting over = disposable society.

Quote:
Also, less moving parts means less overall maintenance for an EV. So while you might know how to drop in a new had gasket every 120k miles, EVs simply don't have head gaskets. Rough idling, sluggish old clunkers will be largely a thing of the past, not to mention oil stains in the driveway.
Until the battery reaper comes a calling, then it's going to be ~$25,000. Sure, you saved on oil changes and timing chains... It may even be a wash on some platforms, but you don't need a 2nd mortgage to change your oil.