07-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #62
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Funny story, but we used to live in Orange County and made frequent trips to LA. I hated driving our automatic 135i. Holding down the brake was significantly more tiring than using the clutch on my M Coupe.

I've never understood the complaints about manuals in traffic. Having lived in two of the worst areas for traffic, I've never once thought that having an automatic would make it any better, or worse, really. I'd just be driving an automatic which seems silly.
This. I've driven manual transmission my entire 41-year driving career. I just don't see what the problem is with a manual in traffic. I drive in Wash DC traffic, the worst part according to the news. I grew up in the DC area driving a manual trans. It's so second nature to me that driving an automatic is tiresome. In heavy traffic, a manual is always in the wrong gear to make aggressive moves into closing holes, etc. So the solution is to drive an automatic in manual mode, so what's the point then, it saves your left leg? LOL. You still have to pay attention and shift the transmission based on what you SEE and what you WANT to do, rather than what some computer thinks you want to do based on road speed, fuel consumption, engine load, and fluid pressures.
vreihen1615333.00