06-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #42
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
I've been working from home as a F/T employee since ~2008 in IT since graduating in the mid 80s. Other than some occasional production issues, or support I have a fairly traditional workday.

Just thinking out loud, but did those people with advanced degrees expect to be working at home at 6am or 11pm?

Work used to be a means to an end, but many employers now expect people to center their lives around their jobs instead of their families.

No one laid on their death bed ever telling their family they wish they worked more hours or spent more time at work.
In my industry (automotive engineering) this is kind of par for the course. Very global decentralized teams. We all have to adjust schedules to make it work, but like others have mentioned, work life balance is important. We have people work early, or late, or over the weekend sometimes. But then I ask them to keep track, and give them comp time to make up for it.

Most of my team is motivated and wants to do a good job. They make the decisions about limits and work life balance themselves. I’m here to support, help get obstacles out of their way, and set priorities. They are adults, and I treat them as such. We are all salaried, so there is no extra reward for working more hours. A lot do it anyway, because that’s what it takes. Most everyone is ok with a couple extra hours per week. My job is to make sure OT is the exception, not the norm.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 06-09-2022 at 11:13 AM..
EricVR4603.50