B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Wait View Post
The volume of EV owners in the US doesn't jump from 2M to 100M in a couple of years. We have decades to get there, which will see the electric infrastructure augment capacity via wind, solar and deferred/repurposed resources from the 100M less fossil fuel vehicles on the road.

Your mindset of filling up your gas tank at 9pm vs. noon/lunch-break is not analogous to how you charge an EV. You plug it in when you're done driving for the day (even if that's 10pm at night). When you wake up every single day with 100% charge, you don't need to 'fill up on your lunch break'.
There are issues when everyone in the UK brews up a spot o' tea at the same time. Sure, it won't happen immediately, I'm just pointing out that we barely handle ourselves now when there's serious demand, and that's ever more evident due to excessive heat requiring longer run times of air conditioners. Vast sections of cities in the US have had power shutoff sporadically to help spread the load so things weren't overloaded. I don't think we should overlook this, but I'll agree we'll have some time before EVs are more common.

What I was really driving at with the 9pm vs noon thing was being able to charge when I want without regard to cost - this will be something new that I would have to monitor or schedule so that I'm charged less due to off-peak. You also assume working first shift - if someone worked the third shift it would mean their car charged during the day during more peak-use hours. There's also the factor of being ready to leave for any emergency/on-call/family or friend use case and not just having your car sit in the garage not charging because the cost of electricity is higher.

A bit off-topic so I'll leave it there, but we have more to figure out as EVs ramp up. Like it or not all, they're coming.