View Single Post
      11-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #93
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
+1 It's obvious that GM/Ford/Chrysler are in trouble and something has to be done.

UltimateBMW - Just curious, but I believe you made the comment before on the manufacturing/retail infrastructure already being in place for a new company to come in and "do it right". Who do you expect to do that, or where do you see the money coming from? Not flaming you, but asking a genuine question. It's not as simple as buying a plant, some dealers, and saying "let's make cars".
What I ment when I said the infrastructure is already in place is... If GM or Ford dies. The factories, method of transport, and retail sites are already exsisting. If the corporate entity went bankrupt then these facilities would be liquidated or left vacant. So if a new brand was to emerge from the ashes they could easily take over these facilities, thats all.

As far as to whom it might be that came in and created this new entity, it could be from within. It could be a private investor or anybody for that matter. I was not surmising as to whom it would of been that would come in and create this new brilliant thing. Only that it would be possible, and since the physical sites are existing already, it wouldn't be too far fetched to expect it. (Assuming that GM or Ford had already died and were in this scenario beyond saving.) Whether they are beyond it now or not is a bit beyond us all. I tend to plan for the worst, hope for the best when I view things. No one really knows what is being said right now behind closed doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
As for your other comment on your job in no "way, shape, or form going to be imposed upon if GM dies". If you don't want to share your profession, it's fine. But the global (let alone national) impact of GM going under is monumental. If you would truly be unaffected, consider yourself fortunate, but understand you're an exception.
I am fully aware that I am an exception, and I also made note of this awareness when I first posted a comment regarding this new topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
If GM tanks, I wonder who would support maintenance and warranty issues?

Though I'm sure, as some have pointed out, this would probably be the least of most people's problems.