View Single Post
      08-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #52
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'm not a credit card guru, so 'splain some stuff to me.

100,000 bonus points (Spend $4,000 in first 3 months) - We put $4k/mo on ours, so no problem here.

3X points on Dining - We eat out 4-5 nights a week.

3X points on travel - We travel 3-4 times a year, but what qualifies as travel?

$300 Travel credit (yearly) - How does this work?

TSA Pre/Global Entry credit (Every 4 years) - I think these are good for 5 years. - Is this like a refund after you get TSA PRE/GE?

No Foreign Transaction Fees - This would come in handy for our trip to the UK next week.

Access 900+ VIP airport lounges worldwide with Priority PassT - What is Priority PassT?
you have much to learn, young grasshopper...here's my quick cliffs notes and method of how:

-100,000 bonus points (Spend $4,000 in first 3 months) - We put $4k/mo on ours, so no problem here. METHOD: The quickest and surest way of reaching your spend limit in time is to PREPAY for your monthly bills. Often you're allowed to carry a credit balance on your cable, some utility and cell phone bills. Literally just log on, and charge like $1000 onto your bill pay with that credit card, and it counts for the purposes of "spending" on the credit card. Also, pay your car/house insurance on your credit card too, it's like $500+ a pop. In a pinch, buy gift cards that you will use over time, namely gas station, restaurants, grocery stores.

3X points on Dining - We eat out 4-5 nights a week. METHOD: You know how you and your friends split dining bills or your company reimburses you for dining with clients? Yeah, offer to pay for these huge tabs and get reimbursed by your friends/company. My wife does this all the time for company sponsored happy hours for employees.

3X points on travel - We travel 3-4 times a year, but what qualifies as travel?
RTFM? These things are tricky, it's all about how merchants code these things on your bill. Some cards, even gas stations count as "travel". Others only allow direct booking and don't like sites like priceline. Read the terms and conditions.

$300 Travel credit (yearly) - How does this work? CLIFF NOTES: The original purpose is to get your airline baggage fees, wifi fees, change fees covered. METHOD: check flyertalk forums. Similar to travel point coding, there's ways to get this covered for even airline ticket purchases, gift cards etc etc, but some work is involved like using an dedicated app.

TSA Pre/Global Entry credit (Every 4 years) - I think these are good for 5 years. - Is this like a refund after you get TSA PRE/GE?
Cliffs Notes: Correct statement credit after you pay CBP first for the application

No Foreign Transaction Fees - This would come in handy for our trip to the UK next week. Cliffs Notes: Meh, I prefer to use a Schwab Visa debit card and use it to withdraw cash. Many foreign countries and places within don't accept credit cards in general. The Schwab ATM cards reimburses 100% ATM fees and gives you best exchange rates for that day (less than 0.1% for most currencies).

Access 900+ VIP airport lounges worldwide with Priority PassT - What is Priority PassT? Cliffs Notes: google priority pass, it's access to hundreds of worldwide airport lounges. However, it's only good for you the card holder. IMO, it's minimum usefulness unless you travel often at a location with one of these lounges. But if you do use it, it's sweet with the free food and shower and all.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-23-2016 at 12:59 PM..