BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
You brought up some very valid points, but I can't tell if your posts are dripping with ego or just sarcasm seasoned with resent. The description of your sales experience is anecdotal because you don't seem to empathize what it's like to be the customer who ISN'T just about saving a few dollars. Many dealerships/salespeople have a glaring lack of product knowledge and are more focused on closing the deal than making you happy. Then there are the cocky ones who try to act like they know more than you, belittle the female customers, or just don't treat you with any respect because you're just a sale to them. It's not a pleasant experience BEFORE they then add you to their databases and toe the line of harassment disguised as 'marketing' and 'follow ups'. And don't even get me started on the incessant fucking surveys.

But I digress... if you have lost so many customers to other dealerships, do you guys ever stop and ask yourselves just how far off are you on pricing?
I agree with your assessment of most dealerships. It is, again, what I call the Wal-Marting of America. The buying public is getting exactly the level of expertise they're willing to pay for. I've not suffered any loss of income over my 40-years selling BMWs but we're talking about European Delivery here, and, what, 500 sales per year for BMW? Most dealerships don't even do it, have no one familiar with it, and just won't be bothered—regardless the model involved. They barely pay a living wage and the average tenure in a sales position at a BMW store is probably around 2-years. I've seen in the store where I work what they'll accept as a new hire to talk to $100,000 BMW buyers. "Oh, you were in therapeutic massage before this? Hired!" "You sold cell phones? Hired."

When they dump a newbie at my desk to show them what they need to know, I tell them to get a different job, mostly because their heart isn't in it. I bought my first BMW in 1971 and I've been president of CCA something like four times during which I was the point-man for justifying the Club loyalty payments to members to BMWNA every year. I devoted most of my life to BMW, because that's what I liked. I'm just like some of you, but I'm just giving you another perspective. I'd stop doing this in a heartbeat if there wasn't some satisfaction in it. The ED part is a minor bump in the road for any dealership. 500 per year is barely one-per-dealership. Why does BMW care? I said if they asked me I could design a program to create the experience without pissing off the dealers or the customer.

Tesla and buying-on-line keeps being brought up. Do you really want to give up the hunter-gatherer negotiations? The dealers don't like it. Some don't mark this shit up. Others do. If customers picked their dealers on service rather than price, you'd be driving change, but don't expect both and then complain when your sales droid has no product knowledge. Most salespeople aren't even paid on BMW AVP money anyway so they have no vested interest when a negotiation goes below invoice. They'll take their minimum commission and move on. They really don't care if they're selling BMWs or Chevies. That's what you get. And then there are others who do. But there won't be for long.

So, bemoan the loss of ED but worry more about the focus of BMW to just stay alive. Worry more about the remaining Quandt family cashing out to the Chinese. Or, like me, surround yourself with the type of BMWs you like best and just say "screw-it" to whatever happens next.

I'm headed out to work now in my E28 535i stick. Carry on. I'll watch the growth of this tempest-in-a-teapot when I get home.

Freude am Fahren!