View Single Post
      10-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #622
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Besides the handy roll of duct tape to reduce drag, people are starting questioning how the Alfa 4C's ride height looks suspiciously low too. The fact is Alfa Romeo was experimenting with the two available rim sizes combination for the production model to set the lap time record around the N'ring. It turned out that they've discovered the Alfa 4C was faster with the lower size wheels (17" front and 18" rear - 2nd picture below) than with the more aesthetically pleasing bigger wheels (18" front and 19" rear - 1st picture below). One of the reasons for such outcome is the fact that the car seats indeed lower with the smaller wheels. I know for a fact how dramatic the difference can look like between 17" and 18" wheels size because prior to my 1M I owned two Caymans, the first had the standard 17" wheels and the second the optional 18" wheels all around (you could have them on the optional 19" size also). With the 17" wheels not only the Cayman looked wider but more notorious still, it looked strikingly lower. You can see the same effect with the Alfa 4C which is even more pronounced because the 1st picture is from a static Alfa 4C and the second is a picture of the Alfa 4C under severe corner load:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 10-23-2013 at 07:01 AM..