12-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #549
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsjoe View Post
I'm sorry but I do not view this " Time Man of the Year " award too highly.

Adolf Hitler was " The Time Man of the Year " for 1938 right before he started World War II where millions perished because of him.

Ayatollah Khomeini also had this honor in 1979 ?
For starters it's person of the year (but I won't hold that against you) and it's not a popularity contest. It goes to someone (or a group of people) who've impacted the world tremendously over the past year. Given that criteria I still don't think Ferguson should've won (nor Taylor Swift...who was also on the short list) but Vladimir Putin wouldn't of been a bad choice given the criteria. Between hosting the winter olympics, the mess in Ukraine, and his overall proclivity towards starting another Cold War, he seems like a reasonable choice.

But yeah, that's why Hitler and Khomeini won, the change or influence they bring about the world can be good or bad. But that's why Ferguson protesters were on the short list as one could make the argument that they are bringing attention racial inequality in the US, their method in doing so is questionable but that's not really the point as far as Time Magazine is concerned. In 2006 I was person of the year, pretty neato.