03-06-2024, 06:05 PM   #33
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Not every relationship is a fairytale storybook my friend. Sometimes you can love your children, give them every advantage you never had and they still end up resentful for reasons you can never comprehend. You haven’t walked in my shoes or know my story.
And not every relationship is a dystopian nightmare. I certainly cannot comprehend, for one I have no kids and second I always had a great relationship with my father and so does my gf and her sisters. The only person I know who did not have a relationship with their father is my best friend and that was 100% the fathers choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I think people have reading comprehension issues. Certainly I’d love to have a relationship with my kids but look up the phrase familial disassociation and you’ll know a little of what I’m talking about. All I’m saying is I’d rather have my kids be self sufficient than sitting in my basement even though they love me. At some point they have to leave the nest.
I think the issue is with your writing more so than the readers. I certainly struggle with expressing what I really want to say in writing and sometimes I'll write a long ass post and delete it because I just can't get it to come out right.

However what you wrote made it sound like not having a relationship with your kids was something to be proud of. Like as long as they are self sufficient fuck the rest. Or almost like it's between raising self sufficient kids and not having a relationship with them or having a relationship and having them stay in the basement until they are 40. Now maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it sounded to me and apparently others also.