01-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #170
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I have never seen independent tests on different brands of oil to show that one is better than another. I think the Blackstone lab results are somewhat useful but they are difficult to use to prove that one brand is better than another as the variables are hard to control and even then it shows that for one engine, one oil seems to have better results than another oil.

I also think the BMW "recommended brand" doesn't mean much as it keeps changing over time and believe it has more to do with a payment than BMW going with the best. I think when my car was built it was Castrol now it is now Penzoil?

I will say that my car runs much better after a complete wash/wax/detail.
Real testng is expensive. BS "tests" featured on sites like Project Farm are completely irrelevant let alone the conclusions. However, Blackstone released a paper where they analyzed their UOA database.. IIRC their conclusion, there was little to no statistically relevant difference in terms of wear between brands of motor oil.

Wear was more dependant on engine type, time in sump and application.

This what makes shopping by certification so easy (ex, All LL01(2018) will perform essentially the same).

Certs run about $4k for an oil company. IIRC Warren Oil Company sells LL01 under Walmart Super Tech, Costco, Amazon labels.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line