Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Dave, What's this diffusion effect you're talking about? If you mean diffraction I don't think that super-teles are any more prone to it than any other lens. f/16-22 will show just as much diffractive softening with your ultrawides as your 500/4 - it just may be that the 500 is sharp enough wide open that you notice it more.
I did mean diffraction and your right, all lenses have it and there's a relationship between maximum aperture physical size vs. the pixel size. Smaller pixels aggravate the problem. (One more reason that full frame/larger pixel cameras are better for landscapes).

I think it's more noticeable in the super-teles because of the magnification and clarity of the top lenses. Also, we tend to crop super-tele images, further highlighting the issue. f/11 is as far as I go with my 500mm and I try to shoot at f/8 whenever there's enough light. The lens gets super sharp at f/8 and then falls off from there.

When I shoot scenics with my 24-105mm I'll try to limit the f-stop to f/16, hoping for ultra sharpness all the way from close to far, but something very close in the foreground may push me a little further.

Dave