View Single Post
      10-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #21
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What about fast food joints where you sit down: people flipping burgers and frying chicken also work hard to serve never-ending queues of customers who are often in a hurry. Where do you draw the line: service, politeness, attention, looks, speed, food presentation ?

Other question: what if you know that in the European restaurant you're visiting the waiter/waitress is not allowed by his/her boss to keep tips. It's not uncommon in Europe that tips line the pockets of (some) restaurant owners, rather than those of the underpaid waiters/waitresses. But you don't know that in advance. In principle, registered waiters/waitresses are entitled to guaranteed minimum wages and social security protection (accident-at-work, unemployment, sickness, pension rights, etc.). But quite a number of waiters/waitresses are not registered by restaurant owners, which is illegal (restaurant owners risk
substantial penalties if they get caught by the tax and social security authorities).
I'm gonna be frank here and say it's not my problem to figure out the minutia.

If it's a serviced sit down restaurant then sure i'll add a tip. Anywhere or anything else then by default I am not tipping.