View Single Post
      10-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep

Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
That's one... many non Americans don't understand the base hrly wage for waiters / bartenders.

And two... i have never in any part of the world recieved service like I have in the USA when at restaurants... namely because people work for those tips and if they screw up; they know they won't get it. With the business now being shattered due to Covid, it just generally makes you a really bad person not too tip.
You must go to different restaurants than I do. I've gotten service that is all over the spectrum and I doubt many are truly motivated by a tip because, as you mentioned, anyone that isn't an ass in the US is tipping at least 15% unless the service was complain-to-the-manager bad.

The idea that tips keep people motivated or honest is an old wives tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
I agree with not tipping an auto transport driver but... tipping is an American thing bc we don't have certain social safety nets that are commonplace in European countries (e.g. healthcare, education).

Lots of people in various industries do rely on or greatly appreciate tips to make ends meet especially during COVID era.

Just saying that maybe a more nuanced view on tipping is needed instead of a blanket "fuck tipping" bc other countries don't do it.
Well, I'd say, fuck tipping but do it anyway. Withholding tips only punishes employees; this is an ancient practice that needs to be legislated out of existence.
j23654.50