04-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #105
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
On over 200K household income, we're paying an effective combined federal/provincial rate of 20.6% (no deductions for kids either). BC has 5% GST and 7% PST (not harmonized) so 12% instead of 13% but if you want to compare to US, purchase sales taxes run from about 7% to 11% (only Delaware and Oregon don't have sales taxes). I know Ontario has higher taxes than BC, but if your comment meant that your total tax load was double ... probably close but if your actually comparing average US taxes to average Canadian taxes ... we're not that much different (they have gas taxes, we have gas taxes, they have road tolls, we don't in BC as of right now ... you might in Ontario, etc).

For all that, IMO we get a lot more value from our taxes than the US (notwithstanding some maddening political decisions every now and then).
Perhaps in some respects we do, but when I look at what we pay for some items that are just taxed beyond belief and then compare that with the government waste and mismanagement I think we are over taxed, and it's only going to get worse with all of the "free stuff" Kathleen Wynne is promising, carbon taxes and other revenue tools governments are always looking for.